Engineer Manager, iOS (November 2016 - Present) - 5 direct reports
- Managed the team responsible for maintaining TuneIn’s flagship application on iOS. Our technology stack used Swift, Objective-C, Objective-C++, and C++ with the goal of delivering the world’s best listening experience.
- Focused on monitoring the health of the app, determining appropriate metrics of success for feature development, and setting up team and individual KPIs and OKRs.
- Worked with product and design leaders in constructing and executing on the product roadmap, including prioritizing iOS projects such as an audio engine rewrite and iPad redesign.
- Initiated and drove our Discovery Days program which brings our product, design, and engineering teams together for one week a quarter to invest in the future of the company. We encouraged everyone to explore, prototype, build, and experiment with product ideas; solve problems, nagging tasks, or nuisances that slow us down every day; or just learn and grow themselves, because as individuals grow, so does the company. The first year of Discovery Days produced 112 project presentations, half of which have been completed and released or have been added to project roadmaps.
Staff Software Engineer, iOS (May 2016 - November 2016)
- Focused on the health of the app by removing dead code and assets, and updating existing code to be more testable.
- Guided a junior developer through the ownership of large features in our app with the creation of offline mode, which led to their promotion to senior engineer.
- Debugged audio playback issues in our in-house audio engine running on top of FFmpeg.
Senior Software Engineer, iOS (March 2014 - May 2016)
- Built extensions into Apple’s ecosystem with CarPlay, Today Widget, and Apple Watch implementations.
- Led the move from a data heavy OPML API to a more composable JSON API which allowed us to have more code reuse through view composition and simplified our view controller hierarchy. The move to the JSON API also allowed us to implement and A/B test features faster.
- Larger experimental features I worked on include: adding swipe for recent and related content on our now playing screen; allowing users find and follow their friends; and adding an interest selection flow to onboard new users.
Senior Software Engineer, Ruby (January 2012 - March 2014)
- Onboarded and mentored new Ruby on Rails developers as the team grew from two to six engineers.
- Built TuneIn’s in-house ad management tools (to store and manage publisher, campaign, line item, ad, and creative details), third-party ad scrapers (to capture click/revenue data from a dozen different ad providers), and made enhancements to our Android and iOS ad libraries to support 300x250 ads.
- Built the analytics data models and testing infrastructure to integrate our numerous data sources (MySQL, SQL Server, HBase, DynamoDB, and JSON and XML web services)
- Developed our ad hoc querying infrastructure to dynamically build and run Hive and Pig scripts on demand on top of Amazon’s Elastic MapReduce service.
Software Engineer (April 2009 - January 2012)
- Participated in on-call 24/7 rotations for development support during production outages.
- Wrote rake tasks to slow roll out our production changes, minimizing downtime and allowing for more frequent deploys.
- Enhanced administrative tools to better manage category and product inventory.
- Updated the infrastructure from Ruby 1.8.7 to Ruby 1.9.2, yielding performance improvements of 20%.
- Built ad hoc reporting tools to make data more accessible to product managers; content moderation tools to control user generated data; and various community-driven features aimed towards the Sears community of sites.
- Developed third-party integration libraries and data migration scripts.
Software Engineer (June 2007 - December 2008)
- Converted and enhanced a PHP/Python driven, promotion fulfillment application to Ruby on Rails. The application grew from a single purpose site, sending and fulfilling one product, to a customer service and inventory management portal connecting with four warehouses to fulfill gift cards and consumer goods.
- Built out promotional web sites with ad hoc reporting, dynamic rebate form generation, multivariate testing with Memetrics, and third-party warehouse and payment gateway integrations.
Web Developer (September 2006 - June 2007)
- Created and maintained promotional web sites in PHP with a major focus on SEO and split testing.
- Wrote data marshaling scripts in Python to manage inventory levels with our fulfillment vendors.
Associate QA Engineer (January 2006 - September 2006)
- Wrote Python automation tests to verify the accuracy of the results of SPSS 13.0.
- Performed user interface and installation/upgrade migration testing of SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys 2.0.
- Aided the SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys development team by building a Java-based SPSS-to-XML conversion layer for a client-server implementation.
Intern Web Developer (May 2004 - January 2006)
- Created and maintained pages across the corporate web site, ensuring pages were Section 508 compatible.
- Initiated and implemented a redesign of the corporate website, moving the company from a table-based to a CSS-based layout while maintaining browser compatibility across Mac and PC.